|National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from
How can we help carry the burden of someone who has a mental illness?
Be there!!! Show up!!!
- Listen without a judgmental attitude.
- Communicate.Listen as a person, not as a learned religious figure. Share your thoughts and feelings.
- Empower by demonstrating that you believe in him or her.
- Ask what you can do to make a difference. Ask, "What can I do to help?"
- If it seems indicated, refer him or her to persons specially trained to help with mental illness issues. If necessary, make the appointment and/or provide transportation
- If medication has been prescribed, reassure him or her that it is almost always necessary for those with a serious mental illness and that it can enable one to function very well.
- Reassure your friend that God is constantly with him or her, even if he or she can't sense it at that moment.
- Follow through and come back to see your friend when he or she is feeling well.