National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from
(800) 950-NAMI;

What Should You Do If You Experience Restraint And Seclusion Abuse?

If you or your family member has experienced abuse of R/S in a treatment facility, you should take the following action.

  1. Contact your state’s Protection and Advocacy program. For the phone number of your state’s program, call the National Association of Protection and Advocacy Systems (NAPAS) at 202-408-9514. If a P & A does not assist you, let NAMI know by contacting Ron Honberg at 703-516-7972 or by email at
  2. File a complaint with the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) hotline at 1-800-994-6610 and/or
  3. File a complaint with your state’s health and hospital-licensing agency.
  4. File a complaint with your U.S.Center for Medicaid and Medicare (CMS) regional office. There are 10 regional offices in the United States. To find yours, call the CMS Medicare Hotline, 1-800-638-6833. You can also call the CMS Office of Medicare Customer Assistance, 410-786-7413.
  5. Consider sharing your story with your local media.
  6. Consider retaining an attorney if you believe your legal rights have been violated.


Back to Seclusion and Restraints