|National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from
(800) 950-NAMI; firstname.lastname@example.org
October 28, 2004
Take A Mental Health Day
After Election Day
Saturday, November 6, 2004
In Downtown Washington
Arlington, VA - Four days after Election Day, NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) will hold its first 5K fundraising walkathon in the nation’s capital - NAMIWalks DC - to benefit the 220,000-person national organization and its District of Columbia affiliate.
The NAMIWalks route will close streets in Downtown DC from 6:00 AM to 12:00 Noon on Saturday, November 6. The route includes:
- Start at Freedom Plaza (east of White House)
- Down Pennsylvania Avenue to 3rd Street on Capitol Hill
- Circle the US Department of Health & Human Services along 2nd, E and 4th Streets at Federal Center
- Turn west on Independence Avenue to Air & Space Museum
- Reverse and return to Freedom Plaza
"NAMIWalks are about hope and recovery," said NAMI executive director Michael Fitzpatrick. "They have grown from 12 states in 2003 to more than 35 in 2004. NAMIWalks DC is the first time we will step out in the nation’s capital. "
"NAMIWalks are an amazing phenomenon. Friends and neighbors who have had no previous connection with mental illness come together with NAMI members to raise awareness—and funds for research, education, support and advocacy."
"Every walk site is unique. They are family events. They include banners, balloons, clowns, music, moon bounces, and most of all hope."
Speakers at Freedom Plaza at 8:00 AM will include:
- Mayor Anthony Williams*
- Michael J. Fitzpatrick, NAMI Executive Director
- Steven Sharfstein, MD, President-Elect, American Psychiatry Association
- James Nininger, MD, Speaker of the APA Assembly
- Martha Knisley, Director, DC Department of Mental Health
The American Psychiatry Association has the honor of serving as the walkathon’s presenting sponsor.
Other sponsors include:
- America Online
- American Psychiatric Foundation
- American Psychiatric Publishing
- Benefits Plus, Inc.
- Bull Moose Bed & Breakfast
- Child Welfare League of America
- Double R Productions
- EADP, Inc.
- The Hill
- NAMI Family to Family
- National Association of Social Workers
- Tray Business Systems
- TriCapital Advisors, Inc.