National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from NAMI Atlantic County
PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW STAND-ALONE WEBSITE HERE: www.NAMIac.org
Individually we have little clout, but united we can bring about needed change. Our loved ones with mental illnesses are not inferior human beings. They deserve a chance in our society. We can make the difference in their lives.
NAMI Atlantic/Cape provides support, encouragement, education, advocacy and a caring atmosphere to help with problems that can be overwhelming if faced alone.Our goals are:
• To support and encourage families to deal successfully with the problems of their family members who have a mental illness as well as those who have a co-occurring substance abuse problem;
• To learn more about our local and state mental health systems: how they work, how to use them gainfully, and how to change them;
• To follow new research and treatment possibilities;
• To join with similar groups throughout the State and Nation in identifying and working for improved treatment and resources;
• To advocate for and support legislation to improve programs and research in the field of mental health;
• To work to develop adequate aftercare services, especially a mental health court, residential alternatives, and employment opportunities; and
• To provide the Family-to-Family Education Course each spring and fall. This nationally-acclaimed 12-week class is provided at no cost to families dealing with a mental illness. Membership is not required to attend.