|National Alliance on Mental Illness
page printed from
(800) 950-NAMI; email@example.com
NAMI Homefront is the newest educational course for family, caregivers and friends of military Service Members and Veterans living with mental illness. It is currently being piloted in six states with an expected expansion to other NAMI State Organizations in late 2014.
What You Should Expect from NAMI Homefront
- Meets for 6 sessions, 2.5 hours each, free of cost.
- Designed for loved ones (over age 18) of Service Members/Veterans living with mental illness.
- Taught by trained family members of Service Members/Veterans living with mental illness.
- Provides critical information and strategies related to caregiving.
- Incorporates presentations, discussion and exercises.
- Adapted from the NAMI Family-to-Family Education program which was designated an Evidence Based Practice in 2013 by SAMHSA. NAMI Family-to-Family classes have been offered in VA (Department of Veterans Affairs) clinics and hospitals throughout the U.S. since the late 1990's.
Why You Should Attend
A toolkit of information
- Up-to-date information about a range of mental illnesses, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and co-occurring substance use disorders.
- Impact of mental illness on the brain.
- Current research on treatments including medication, side effects and evidence-based therapies.
Training in preparedness and emotional resiliency
- Skills related to managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively.
- Strategies for self-care including stress management and emotional overload.
- Guidance on locating appropriate federal, state and local supports and services.
Perhaps most importantly, as a participant you can gain comfort in knowing you are not alone. Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all families and Service Members/Veterans dealing with a mental illness and the invisible wounds of war like PTSD. The in-person group experience of NAMI Homefront provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
What Others Have to Say about NAMI Family-to-Family Classes Taught in Partnership with the VA
“You realize that he will never be the same having been through war. I learned how to treat him more as an adult than as a hurt child.”— Mother of a Veteran after graduating from a NAMI Family-to-Family class held at a VA clinic
“We are still friends with everyone that was in the class. There’s always and open ear and an open heart and a shoulder to cry on if you need it.” — Father of a Veteran after graduating from a NAMI Family-to-Family class held at a VA hospital
Resources for NAMI Homefront Participants
Dig deeper and get more from your classes with our Additional Resources.
Until NAMI Homefront Comes to your Community
Browse helpful information gathered from all over in our General Resources.
NAMI is proud to provide the Veterans & Military Resource Center for veterans and active duty military members, as well as their families, friends, and advocates.
Contact the NAMI Affiliate in your area.
Learn about other NAMI Education, Training and Peer Support programs.
Call NAMI: (800) 950–NAMI (6264)