Assertive Community Treatment (ACT)
National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day
Capitol Hill Briefing on May 6, 2010
NAMI is jointly hosting the fifth annual Capitol Hill briefing in honor of National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day with the National Federation for Children's Mental Health, Mental Health America and the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law. The program will emphasize the critical importance of effective school and community based mental health services for children and youth, and their families.
The briefing, Children’s Mental Health: Focusing on the Early Mental Health Needs of Children and Adolescents will be held on May 6th to focus on the following goals:
- Raise awareness about effective programs for children’s mental health needs;
- Demonstrate how children’s mental health initiatives promote positive youth development, recovery, and resilience; and
- Show how children and youth with mental health needs thrive in their communities.
Guest speakers include:
- Moderator: Julio Abreu
- Systems of Care Spokesperson: Joy Kaufman, Ph.D.
- Honorary Youth Spokesperson: Avniel Serkin-Ahmed
- Honorary Education Spokesperson: Janice Cooper, Ph.D.
- Substance Abuse and Mental health Services Administration Spokesperson: A. Kathryn Power
In honor of National Children's Mental Health Awareness Day, the Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is hosting Awareness Day Turns 5 and an Awareness Day Early Childhood Forum. To attend either, please visit SAMHSA's Web site for further details and registration information.