NAMI Connection is a recovery support group program for adults living with mental illness. Your group will provide respect, understanding, encouragement and hope. This relaxed approach can support you as you share the challenges and success of coping with mental illness.
What Should You Expect?
- Meets weekly for 90 minutes free of charge.
- Designed for adults (18 and over) living with mental illness.
- Facilitated by a team of trained individuals who live in recovery from mental illness.
- Confidential - share as much or as little personal information as you want.
- Does not recommend or endorse any medications or other medical therapies.
- Guided by Principles of Support.
Why Attend a NAMI Support Group?
An environment of sincere, uncritical acceptance
Meetings begin with a review of group guidelines and the NAMI Connection Principles of Support. Following this introduction, anyone that wishes to may share an update on current life success and/or challenges. The group works together to address the most pressing issues using a process called “group wisdom.” Themes that naturally arise during the group also become a focus of group work. As a participant your voice is heard. You may contribute to the discussion empathetically, building a sense of community that is based on sincere, uncritical acceptance.
Tools for caring for your life
Practical, constructive solutions shared by the group, also called “group wisdom,” may help you find solutions to current life challenges. You may also learn about community resources from other participants. By sharing your experiences, you have the opportunity to gain hope and new friends in a safe and confidential setting.
Principle of Support
- We will see the individual first, not the illness.
- We recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers.
- We understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events.
- We aim for better coping skills.
- We find strength in sharing experiences.
- We reject stigma and do not tolerate discrimination.
- We won’t judge anyone’s pain as less than our own.
- We forgive ourselves and reject guilt.
- We embrace humor as healthy.
- We accept we cannot solve all problems.
- We expect a better future in a realistic way.
- We will never give up hope.
Can You Attend a NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group?
Support groups are open to all adults with mental illness, regardless of diagnosis. You are always welcome to drop by to gain support and encouragement.
What Others Have to Say about NAMI Connection?
“NAMI Connection has enabled me to take a good look at my illness and see that I am not alone. The program has given me additional tools to not only accept my illness, but to help others along the way.”
“… people can solve problems [at a NAMI Connection Support Group]. It isn't just a bunch of sad stories; people are coming up with solutions and stuff to do for the next week. One of our group attendees is taking her meds and getting herself to her counselor and is just about able to go back to her career in great part due to Connection.”
NAMI Conexión is available in a limited number of states. Please contact your NAMI State Organization to learn if NAMI Conexión is available near you.
Find a Support Group
- Search for an ongoing NAMI Connection Support Group.
- Learn about other NAMI Education, Training and Peer Support programs.
- Call NAMI: (800) 950-NAMI (6264)