Frequently Asked Questions
NAMI National Information HelpLine: Frequently Asked Questions
- I am in a crisis. I am thinking about suicide. What should I do?
- Where can I find a support group in my area? What are NAMI Connection Recovery Support Groups? How much do they cost?
- My friend/family member won't follow recommended treatment. What can I do to make this person follow through?
- I don't know how to cope with my friend/family member who has a mental illness. Can NAMI help me?
- I am/ or my friend/family member is newly diagnosed with a mental illness. What do I do now?
- My family member is missing and may be homeless. What can I do to find my relative?
- I have a child struggling with a mental illness at home and at school. Does NAMI have resources for families or caregivers of children and adolescents?
- I am a veteran and recently received a mental health diagnosis. Do you have resources for veterans and their families?
- I need a doctor or mental health care facility that specializes in a specific disorder. Can NAMI help me?
- I cannot afford my medication fees or medical insurance. Where can I go for financial assistance?
- What are the side effects and recommended dosage of a specific medication? Is the combination of medications my doctor prescribed right? Is my dosage too high?
- Does NAMI have information on substance abuse or dual diagnosis treatment?
- Can people recover from mental illness? Is there a cure?
- Where can I find a list of group homes, residential facilities, or mental health care units?
- Where can I find housing?
- Where can I find information about what my insurance/Medicaid/Medicare benefits will cover? How do I file for Social Security (What is SSI vs. SSDI)?
- I am recovering from mental illness. And, I would like to learn more about social activities, volunteer opportunities and getting back to work.
- I have a legal problem, but I can’t afford a lawyer. Does NAMI offer legal advice, or have a listing of lawyers that specialize in mental health law?
- How do I file a complaint against a mental health care facility or professional?
- My friend or family member is in jail due to his/her mental illness. How can we help this person?
- My employer is not treating me fairly because I have a mental illness. What can I do to fight this?
- What does NAMI stand for and what is its mission?
- How can I become a NAMI member? What are the benefits of membership?
- I would like to receive a large quantity of NAMI brochures. How can I get those?
- Do you have information in Spanish?
- I recently moved. How do I go about changing my address? How do I delete my name from NAMI's mailing list?
- Does NAMI offer any scholarships for college?
- Does NAMI offer financial grants or have advice as to where to apply for them?
- What jobs or volunteer opportunities does NAMI have available?
- Where can I find statistics about the prevalence of mental illness?