|NAMI American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) Mental Health Listening Session: NAMI looked to boost efforts to increase the engagement and support of AI/AN communities nationwide in 2009 by hosting a meeting of national experts on AI/AN mental health. The result was a collection of their recommendations for mental health systems and NAMI to address barriers to quality care, cultural competence, advocacy and AI/AN community collaboration. Click here for more information and to view the proceedings report.|
Native American Heritage Month webinar events were sponsored by NAMI, First Nations Behavioral Health Association and Indian Health Service Division of Behavioral Health
- Suicide Prevention in Native Populations: Helping Youth “Live To See the Great Day That Dawns”: learn about SAMHSA's publication, To Live To See the Great Day That Dawns: Preventing Suicide by American Indian and Alaska Native Youth and Young Adults, a guide helping promote mental health and address risk of suicide among American Indian and Alaska Native youth.
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC) American Indian/ Alaska Native Web Pages: These web pages are intended to be a resource for people working to prevent suicide and promote wellness in Native communities, offering links to pages on community readiness, best practices and local efforts, resources on digital storytelling and language archiving, and more.
- Spirituality and Mental Health: A Native American Perspective by Terry Cross from Focal Point A National Bulletin on Family Support and Children's Mental Health Spring 2002, Vol. 16 No. 1, pages 22-24 published by the Regional Research Institute for Human Services, Portland State University.
- What is the Relationship of Suicide, Alcohol Abuse, and Spirituality among the Inupiat? an informative study by Catherine Swan Reimer, Ed.D. funded through a minority grant from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and sponsored by the University of Alaska Fairbanks’ People Awakening Project.
- Family Wellness Warriors Initiative
- Healthy Aboriginal Network: preview and order copies of colorful comic books on health and social issues for youth including mental health, suicide and substance abuse from this great Canadian organization
- National Center for American Indian and Alaska Native Mental Health Research (a program of the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Colorado)
- Native Wellness Institute