Tell Congress: Pass Parity This Year!
August 7, 2008
When Congress returns to
1. Tell Congress to pass parity this year! Tell your Senators and Representative to
Click here to send an e-mail message to your Senators and House member
2. Reach out to members of Congress while they are home. This week Congress began a month-long summer recess, with members returning to their states and districts to meet with constituents. In addition to calling and writing members of Congress, it is also critical for advocates to reach out and press them at every public appearance during this current "district work period" – at town meetings, campaign rallies, parades, radio call-in programs, county fairs, etc. At these events, remind all members of Congress that:
- Mental illnesses are real,
- Treatment works – if you can get it,
- There is no justification for a health plan to impose limitations or conditions on mental illness treatment that do not apply to all other medical conditions, and
- There is broad agreement on a compromise version of the mental illness insurance parity bill (S 558-HR 1424), now Congress just needs to finish the job and pass the bill so it can be signed in to law this year.
- Do not adjourn for the year without passing mental illness insurance parity
Read more about the bipartisan-bicameral agreement on mental illness insurance parity legislation.