Register and Join
State & Local NAMIs
Special Needs Estate Planning
September 2012 Update
• National Quality Forum Endorsement of Healthcare Disparities and Cultural Competency Measures (Aug. 10, 2012) Metrics to help determine quality of healthcare for racial and ethnic minority populations based on principles of cultural competence and known disparities.
• Behind Mental Health Stigmas In Black Communities (Aug. 20, 2012) NPR Talk of the Nation
- Webinar on Health Disparities in American Indian & Alaska Natives: A Historical Snapshot and Current Opportunities for AI/AN populations (limited to 100 participants) Society for Public Health Education Thursday, Sept. 6, 1 p.m.–2:30 pm.m EST
Focus on strategies and challenges to achieve health equity for Tribal and Urban AI/ANs. Opening Remarks: Dr. J. Nadine Gracia, MD, MSCE, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Minority Health (Acting) Speakers: Patricia Parker, President/CEO, Native American Management Services; Ralph Forquera, MPH, Region X Health Equity Council, Seattle Health Board, Urban Indian Health Institute
- Eligibility, Outreach and Enrollment Assistance, What Role Can NAMI Play? Thursday, Sept. 6, 2012, 3-4:30 p.m. EST (2 p.m. CT/ 1 p.m. MT/12 p.m. PT)
Many states are planning to expand health coverage, regardless of Congressional action, but will eligibility, outreach and enrollment assistance reach people living with serious mental illness? This webinar is intended for NAMI leaders who want to ensure that people living with mental illness aren’t left behind. What role can NAMI play in engaging a hard-to-reach population? How can we increase capacity by collaborating with other organizations? What funding is available to support this work? Kevin Malone, SAMHSA Office of Policy, Planning and Innovation will talk about best practices and suggested strategies for NAMI at the state and local level. Martin D. Cohen, CEO of the MetroWest Health Foundation near Boston, will discuss how to develop effective proposals to fund this important work.
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration Webinar: Two-Spirit People: Then and Now: Sex, Gender and Sexuality in Historical & Contemporary Native America Sept. 10, 2012 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. EST
- 1st Annual Walk to Raise Awareness about Suicide among Native Americans during National Suicide Prevention Week, Sept. 9 -15, 2012
- California Pan-Ethnic Health Network: Webinar. Equity and the ACA: Expanding Access to Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services. Wednesday, Sept. 12, 10 a.m. - 11 a.m. PT.
- LGBT Youth & Suicide: Understanding & Reducing Risk, Wednesday, Sept. 12, 1-2 p.m. EST
Brian Mustanski, Ph.D. is an Associate Professor of Medical Social Sciences and Psychology at Northwestern University and Director of the University’s IMPACT LGBT Health and Development Program to discuss prevalence of suicidality, risk and protective factors, and creating awareness of how to reduce suicide risk in this vulnerable population.
- Virtual Roundtable for National Network to Eliminate Disparities in Behavioral Health Members: Providing Behavioral Health Services to Diverse Service Members, Thursday, Sept. 13 at 1 p.m. EST. Addressing psychological health issues of and providing transition assistance to military service members, veterans, their families and children from diverse populations.
- 2012 EY Williams Symposium, “Mental Health in Returning Soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan- An African-American Perspective” Sept. 20, 2012, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Howard University, Washington, DC. Free, RSVP requested.
- National Indian Health Board 40th Anniversary Celebration and 29th Annual Consumer Conference, Sept. 24-27, Denver
- Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Health Disparity & Health Equity Conference, Sept. 24-25, Los Angeles
- 18th annual Latino Behavioral Health Institute “Advancing Latino Behavioral Health: From Margin to Mainstream” Sept. 26-28, 2012, Los Angeles
- Alternatives 2012, “Honoring our History, Building our Future,” Oct.10-14, Portland, Ore.
- 2012 Science of Eliminating Health Disparities Summit
Oct. 31-Nov. 3, 2012, National Harbor, Md.
Sponsored by the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health and Office of Minority Health with the National Institutes of Health National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities
Support NAMI to help millions of Americans who face mental illness every day.
Inspire others with your message of hope. Show others they are not alone.
Share your story
Become an advocate. Register on NAMI.org to keep up with NAMI news and events.
Join NAMI Today