June 18, 2007
Building Our Movement, Building Our Future
The 2007 NAMI National convention opens this week in San Diego, CA.
NAMI members, leaders, and others whose lives have been affected by serious mental illness will convene at the Town and Country Convention Center beginning Wednesday for four days of top-notch information, insight, and inspiration.
Session topics will span a wide range, from the latest in research, to reforming the health care system; from children, to older adults; from veterans' issues, to the needs of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender community. There will also be a sneak peak of the movie Canvas, coming to theaters in October.
Speakers and honorees at this year's event include:
- Actors Joe Pantoliano and Devon Gearhart
- Kitty Dukakis, wife of former presidential candidate and author of Shock: The Healing Power of Electroconvulsive Therapy
- U.S. Representative Bob Filner, chairman of House Veterans Affairs Committee
- Terry Cline, director of the U.S. Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services
- Administration (SAMHSA)
- Thomas Insel, MD, director of National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH)
- Nora Volkow, Ph.D., director, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIAD)
The convention will also feature the ever-popular "Ask the Doctor" sessions, allowing attendees the opportunity for questions-and-answers with expert physicians on the following medical illnesses:
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Mood disorders across the lifespan
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Schizoaffective disorder
On-site registration will open beginning at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, June 20th. The last-minute rate for the full convention is just $250 for NAMI members and $295 for non-members. Even lower rates are available for consumers, and day rates are also available. See www.nami.org/convention for more information.
Day-by-day coverage and photos of the convention will be available on the NAMI Web site beginning Thursday.
For media-related inquires, contact Zac Pollack at 703-312- 7893 or, beginning June 20th, contact the convention press room at 619-291-7131 ext. 3081 or 3082.
Copyright Date: 06/18/2007
Post a Comment, Share on Facebook