NAMI Consumer Council
The NAMI Consumer Council, made up of people who have the lived experience of having a mental illness, is an advisory body to the Board of Directors. The Council has one voting Representative and one non-voting Alternate from each state and US territory, including the District of Columbia. The Council meets yearly at the Annual Convention to elect officers and monthly by teleconference to conduct business. The officers of the Consumer Council include:
- Chair: Catherine Roach
- First Vice Chair: Susan Ling
- Second Vice Chair: Leah Thedford
- Secretary: Jeremiah Rainville
- Director : Mike Weaver
- Past Chair: Sandra Caron
The officers all hold 2 years terms that are staggered for continuity of the Executive Committee. The Consumer Council Director is elected by the Consumer Council for a 3 year term on the NAMI National Board of Directors.
The purpose of the Consumer Council is to advance the activities and involvement of the consumer membership of NAMI at the local, state, and national levels by actively participating in advocacy issues and program development. This will be achieved by:
- Working actively to support the mission of NAMI.
- Working to preserve the respect, dignity, and human rights of mental health consumers.
- Advising the NAMI Board of Directors on the perspectives of their consumer members.
- Communicating the mission of NAMI through active participation in the nationwide consumer movement.
- Empowering and educating mental health consumers to address their issues around care, treatment, services, mutual support and consumer rights.
Consumer Council Committees
The Consumer Council has active committees which focus on specific issues that consumers face. These committees are:
- Education and Recruitment
- Welcome and Orientation
Consumer Council Documents
State Level Consumer Councils
For more information regarding State Level Consumer Councils click on one of these links:
For More Information:
For more information about the NAMI Consumer Council please contact Kryssa Kriticos at email@example.com.